Visualize Attribute Lattice

Topics: Resolved
May 15, 2007 at 7:58 PM
I used Visualize Attribute Lattice on my project and to my surprise it helped my find redundant attribute relationship problems in my project. I was sure that with SP2 BIDS already reports redundant relationship. But I found that if attribute is disabled and used in multiple relationships, it is not reported. I had an attribute that is disabled and used just for ordering, and it was dependant on key and another attribute. Visual diagram showed this right away! Very nice.

I also found small problem with this utility. Normally higher level attributes are located just above "child" attribute. That was the case initially. After I removed redundant relationship, now attribute relationship lines are not directly above each other.
I re-deployed project, but for some reason still same issue, so far just on one single dimensions.

It is very nice that I can visually see rigid (solid line) or flexible (dotted line) relationship. Another future suggestion - somehow show cardinality. "Many" or "One". For cardinality "one" attribute could be on the same level. Or just letter M or O.

Thanks again for this great tool.
May 16, 2007 at 4:36 AM
I seem to remember I've read that the cardinality attribute has no effect on anything, so that's why I chose not to show it. If you know of documentation that says otherwise, let us know and we'll see about getting this in the diagram.

As for the diagram being a bit messed up, I'll try to reproduce it. How does the diagram look when you pick "Show Only Multi-Level Relationships" from the Options menu?
May 16, 2007 at 12:45 PM
With option "Show Only Multi-Level Relationships" I can see the same problem, attributes are not above each other.

Regarding cardinality - I just assume that SSAS is using it for optimization, so I was setting it properly to each attribute. But after you pointed this out, I found that "its use is reserved for a future implementation". So please ignore that suggestion.

May 22, 2007 at 4:07 AM
Vidas, I've got your issue fixed, I hope. You can download the latest source code from the Source Code tab and test it out. Or you can just wait for a re-release of the beta with several bug fixes. Thanks again for reporting.
May 22, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Tested code and it looks much better. There was one small issue, that if attribute has multiple dependencies, parents are not necessary straight above. I posted example here:
It is not a big deal, still very usefull as is.

I just now noticed that you have an option to save all dimension visual Lattice to the folder with one mouse click. That is what I was planning to ask! Very usefull. I wish there was option to generate one file (pdf, word) with all pictures as pages. Maybe you'll be able to add this for future releases?

Thanks again for such a great utility.

May 22, 2007 at 3:30 PM
Let me see if I can reproduce that odd formatting you're seeing. I'll keep you posted.

As far as exporting to a PDF I've added this as a request for future releases:
May 24, 2007 at 3:36 AM

I think I've got your formatting problem all fixed now. Please do retest if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks again for going above and beyond to work with me to get this fixed.
May 24, 2007 at 5:38 AM

I've also added the PDF feature you requested. Let me know how that works for you.
May 24, 2007 at 12:44 PM

I tested new fix and now formatting looks perfect. I also tested export to PDF and that document will go straight to project documentation folder - very useful.

Thanks very much for such a great utility.