Validate Aggregations discussion

Topics: Standing Discussions
Oct 16, 2007 at 8:09 AM
This thread is the preferred place to discuss the Validate Aggregations feature and ask questions about the rules it validates.
May 23, 2008 at 7:31 PM
Edited May 23, 2008 at 8:48 PM
Hi !

Don't know if it to late to post a comment, but I will do it anyway.
Due to have the less number of aggregations that serves the most of the queries, sometimes I face with the task of searching if an aggregation differs only one level respect of another one.
I mean that since it is usual to create aggregations based on use, in early steps of aggregations manteinance it is possible to have a useful aggregation A that aggregate at a certain level L3 of dimension Da , and during later steps another query may need an aggregation B equal to A, except than dimension Da at a lower level L2.
As aggregation B includes aggregation A and the first one could serves both queries, so in terms of reducing processing costs it would be better to drop aggregation A.

So, I would need to search those "neighboor" aggregations that could be reduced to only one. Is it possible to add it to Aggr Manager ?.
Is it possible to add some code from my own to this project ?

May 23, 2008 at 8:45 PM
Good feedback. Thanks. I've turned this into a work item at

I'm not sure it belongs in the Validate Aggregations feature, but it is a good idea.

Another way to tackle this right now is to pull up the Agg Manager edit aggs screen and sort based on the subcube vector (1's and 0's) column. Comparing the vector's side by side should help some. You might also try out the new Printer Friendly Aggregations feature (which is not in the release but is in the latest source code) and see if that helps you identify these more quickly manually.

If you have some code you've written, you're welcome to try the "upload patch" feature on the Source Code tab. (Never tried it.) Or just contact me through the CodePlex contact tab and we can exchange emails. We'd be happy to have any suggestions.
Jun 29, 2008 at 11:29 AM
Edited Jun 29, 2008 at 11:50 AM
The Similar Aggregations feature has just been checked in. Many thanks to Leandro Tubia for supplying the code.