smart diff and package configurations

Coordinator
Dec 19, 2007 at 3:08 PM
This was a comment on the homepage. I moved it here to discuss more:

----
johnwsaundersiii wrote Nov 18 at 2:05 PM
Just installed 1.2. Thank you very much.

Any chance of allowing additional diff viewers? Using the Team Explorer viewer, I find that there are false positives when, for instance, two configurations switch position. I'd like to be able to use Beyond Compare, which allows manual intervention in such cases.

Thanks again,
John Saunders
Coordinator
Dec 19, 2007 at 3:11 PM
John, I'll check into the sorting on package configurations. For most stuff inside the DTSX file, the Smart Diff feature does preprocessing which sorts it appropriately so that both sides of the diff show up in the same order, even if the ordering in those two versions changed in reality.

Did I understand your issue completely? Were there other examples?

At this point, we aren't considering supporting new diff viewers or source control providers. If there are other people who would like BIDS Helper to support one in the future, please postback here.
Dec 19, 2007 at 3:46 PM

furmangg wrote:
Did I understand your issue completely? Were there other examples?

Yes, that was it. I didn't find any other examples.

However, that was partially because the problem I found caused me to complete the development of a comparison tool I had previously started. I have been using that tool instead of the BIDSHelper Smart Diff.

At this point, we aren't considering supporting new diff viewers or source control providers. If there are other people who would like BIDS Helper to support one in the future, please postback here.

One of the main reasons I wanted support of BC2 was its ability to manually align the two sides, as well as its ability to do rules-based comparisons. Manual alignment can make it obvious that a new <item/> has been added instead of seeing the tags align badly - usually showing diffs between the new element and the element it was added before.

It also allows editing while comparing, and although my tool doesn't permit that yet, I'm hoping to figure out a safe way to support that.

Sorry, but I don't have permission to share the tool yet. It's little more than a shell around an XSL stylesheet that does sorting, plus a little code to pre-process some of the XML stored as string values.
Coordinator
Dec 19, 2007 at 4:15 PM
Sorry that it sounds like we ended up building the same thing. (I wish you had posted in the discussions list instead of on the homepage so we could have responded more promptly.)

You might compare your XSLT to the BIDS Helper Smart Diff one:
http://www.codeplex.com/bidshelper/SourceControl/FileView.aspx?itemId=376529&changeSetId=29168

Let me know if you have any feedback/improvements/etc.
May 29, 2008 at 3:53 PM
I'd really prefer the compare to use CompareIt by Grigsoft. This is used in many other commercial products wth fantastic results.
The real plus of using another compare tool would be to expand the use of this great feature as many do not have Visual SourceSafe and many more will not have Visual SourceSafe since the release of Team Foundation Studio.
Coordinator
May 29, 2008 at 8:35 PM
Edited May 29, 2008 at 8:36 PM
Thanks Joe. We'll consider adding support for CompareIt.

For the time being, Team Foundation Studio's Team Explorer is a free download and will allow visual diff via Smart Diff by installing it.
http://www.codeplex.com/CodePlex/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Obtaining%20the%20Team%20Explorer%20Client