CALCULATION PROBLEM IN BIDS - HELP

Topics: Resolved
Apr 13, 2010 at 7:03 AM

Hi, I have a problem when viewing calculations in BIDS / sql 2008. When i try to see the calcuations am getting the following error;

Unexpedted error occurred: 'Lenght cannot be less than zero. Parameter name: lenght'

I have tried debugging but to no avail, I have also tried to view calcuations in script mode but also, no go. 

Is there a way how to edit the calculations from somewhere else and remark all calcuations to try to trap where the probem is ?

regards

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Hmm. If you uninstall BIDS Helper and open up that window do you still get the same error? If you get the error only when BIDS Helper is running, we'd definitely like to troubleshoot further.

If you can click the furmangg link to the left and contact me and send me your BIDS project, if I'm able to reproduce the error, I'm positive we can fix BIDS Helper, if that's the problem.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:55 AM

The problem is not coming from the BIDS helper as this problem is being replicated on a server at a client, so I have the problem on my personal laptop and the same issue on the server at a client. I think it has to do with a problem in one of the calculations, but cannot edit the calculations as it is not allowing me, hence the error.

Patrick

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Ah. Since it's not BIDS Helper related, you might have more luck getting some help here:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlanalysisservices/threads/

But in general, I would just right click on the cube in Solution Explorer and choose View Code. Then put a /* comment */ block around the whole MDX script. At that point, you should be able to open up the calculations tab, I would hope and go to the Script View, and start uncommenting sections of the MDX script until you resurrect your problem. That's my suggestion anyway.