SSIS Deploy error on SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Tools install

Topics: Resolved
Jul 6, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Hi all,

I have a machine with SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Tools (Basic and Complete) only installed, and BIDS Helper 1.4.3.0.

I am able to build and execute SSIS packages locally via BIDS.

When I try to use the SSIS Deploy feature, I get this error:

<<

The SQL Server SSIS Package Utilities require Integration Services to be installed by one of these editions of SQL Server 2008 R2: Standard, Enterprise, Developer, or Evaluation. To install Integration Services, run SQL Server Setup and select Integration Services.

>>

Does anyone have a resolution for this issue, or do I have to install Integration Services on a desktop client?

Thanks

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:17 PM
I'm deploying to file location, so I'm just guessing here, but I don't think you have SSIS installed on your destination for deployment. Double-check that then get back with us.
Coordinator
Jul 6, 2010 at 5:15 PM

BIDS Helper Deploy SSIS Packages uses dtutil to deploy packages. My gut says you'll have to have SSIS installed on your laptop in order to use dtutil. (Don't you have to have SSIS installed on your laptop to run and debug packages on your laptop? I seem to remember you do.)

The only exception is that to do a deploy to a file location, BIDS Helper just uses xcopy, not dtutil. So maybe that's why rptodd doesn't need SSIS installed to deploy to a file location.

Jul 6, 2010 at 5:31 PM
Ahh, interesting. Yeah, no SSIS installed here, but I've never tried installing to SSIS directly.
Jul 7, 2010 at 1:09 AM

Guys, thanks for your input.

I've had a look at that machine and dtutil.exe does exist (in E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn).  However if I run dtutil from a Command Prompt (with no parameters), it returns the same error message I posted above.

So it seems clear that the issue is with the SSIS setup/config, not BIDSHelper.  Apologies for raising a false alarm.

I've taken up the dtutil issue with Microsoft. It seems to be a bug, as all of the same tasks can be accomplished via SSMS (e.g. connect to SSIS service, Import a package).  Please repro/vote etc here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/573455/with-only-management-tools-installed-dtutil-returns-edition-error

BTW they made a similar mistake with the SQL Server 2008 RTM, which was fixed in SP1:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/963070/

fumanngg, this may be the issue you were recalling, as a pre-SP1 workaround was to install SSIS.

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:29 AM

FYI, my bug report (above) on Connect has been marked by Microsoft as: Resolved as Won't Fix.

So there you go...