BIDS 1.6 does not create even the simpelest package any more

Topics: Standing Discussions
Jun 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM

After using BIDS helper 1.5 and 1.6 on quite a couple of projects successfully, we now struggle to install the BIML generator inside BIDS helper.

On a clean install of both BIDS 2008 and BIDS 2012, version 1.6, using the according packages, even creation of a simple package like:

<Biml xmlns="">

<Package Name="Package1" ConstraintMode="Linear">

Results in this message:

Internal compiler error. Workflow EmitSsis contains fatal errors. Phase execution halted.

For assistance, please send error messages to ....

I cant find any mention of this error online. Does anyone else have this too? Can anyone help?

Jun 26, 2012 at 5:22 AM

I can re-produce this issue, I'll see if our Biml experts can take a look at it.

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:22 AM

When do you expect a solution? Or is there a work around (SQL 2012)?

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I'm waiting for a solution as well, our project has come to a halt concerning source extraction because it was all based on large volumes, metadata and BIML package generation.

Worked perfectly, but the suddenly it would throw this undescriptive error, and no matter how many combinations and versions of both BI Development Studio (2008, 2008 R2, 2012) and BIDS Helper (1.5 and 1.6) we tried, they would not be working, at all. Tried various machines, laptops, fresh downloads, updates and servicepacks, but to no avail. I think it's actually the default error message of the compiler, and is usually followed by a more descriptive error message of the exact problem. Seems the compiler itself crashes even before there are BIML errors?

I would like to see a follow-up on this one, because we will have to take a decision soon to ditch BIML and build things by hand if we would want to make the project deadline. Anyone can shine a light on this one?

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Dear M,

We use BIDS helper mainly for meta data driven data integration. When it can no longer generate .dtsx packages we will have to discontinue using it. Having to return to the old fashioned hand coding will have a major impact on our project planning and via that on our customers appreciation of the Microsoft BI suite.

We tried numerous workarounds, including SQL 2012. Without results, I'm afraid. Could it be that a recent update in the Windows operating system causes this behaviour?

Please keep us informed about the progress. We really are hoping on a rapid solution.

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:00 AM

We have added roughly 3,000 tests for SSIS2012 functionality and fixed the Biml generator to work comprehensively across those tests.  We are doing our final tweaks this week and will have an updated release shortly thereafter.

Apologies for the delay,

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Dear Scott,

A big thanks for the update. You make my day :)

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Thanks for the update. I'm not entirely sure though how the tests for SSIS2012 functionality would solve the problems with the current BIDS 2008 R2 and BIDS Helper 1.6 installations?

Do you expect the new version will solve the issue with BIDS 2008 as well? Does anyone know why BIML generators stopped working without system changes? Is this mechanism something that is specifically solved in a new version, or is it just by chance that the generator stopped working and refused to start ever again on one machine, but not on others?

Will test with the new version, and hope it'll all work again.

Thanks for your effort by the way, it's appreciated.

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:20 AM

The new version should solve all issues.  The emitters for SSIS 2012 and SSIS 2008 are unified.  The problems with SSIS 2012 caused issues with 2008 as well.  If you'd like to be certain, please email me at  You can either send me the BIML files to verify, or I can send you a drop of the BimlEngine DLL to verify before final release.

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:29 PM

We just released version 1.6.1 which should hopefully solve all these Biml issues. Let us know if that's not the case. Thanks so much for your patience!