SSIS 2012 Sort By Name does not persist when solution is closed

Jul 23, 2012 at 3:08 PM

The sort works as long as you have the solution open, but upon re-opening it the packages are no longer sorted.

Coordinator
Jul 23, 2012 at 5:39 PM

This BIDS Helper feature only shows up in SSIS2005. The SSIS product itself implemented the sorting menu in SSIS2008 and forward.

Probably the issue is that you're not successfully saving the project file. I have run into this a few times. Make sure you click the Save All button and then open the .dtproj file in Notepad to double check it actually saved your sorting changes. If you have trouble, try making some change that definitely "dirties" the project file marking it as needing to be saved (like adding a new package then deleting it).

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Thanks for the response - I wasn't aware that this feature was now a part of BIDS/DataTools.

I've tried save-all and it's still the same issue. I can see that the file get's checked out from TFS when I make the change, but it never appears to actually be saved to the file when I look at it in notepad. I've had issues before with BIDS and TFS acting weird and not saving properly, so I'm going to guess that it's probably that combination.

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I've also got the same problem in SSIS 2012 VS 2010 TFS.

I do sort by name on the package node, project is checked out, check in, "No changes".

The packages are not sorted the next time I open the solution....

Also experience that packages does not get into the project-file for other TFS-users in our workgroup.

I also don't get the latest version downloaded even if I do Get specific/Get Latest/Overwrite.../Overwrite...

Which is a pain if you're not working alone in the project... :-( Packages/Connectors are getting lost, project files out of whack.

Anyone noticed the same thing and maybe got some input towards a solution for this?

Coordinator
Oct 23, 2012 at 8:26 PM

As was commented earlier in this thread, the BIDS Helper "Sort by Name" feature is only for SSIS 2005. From 2008 onwards this is a native BIDS feature so we do not show the BIDS Helper version.

But the list of packages and their order is all stored in the project file. So you are definitely having issues with your project file and TFS, but I'm not sure what that could be. You may have more luck asking this question on a TFS forum.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Thanks for clearing that out. Onward to the TFS forum, I guess.

Cheers

Developer
Mar 20, 2015 at 10:11 AM
Edited Mar 20, 2015 at 10:13 AM
As per thread SSIS Sort packages by name the MS implemented package sorting is not persisted. To overcome this we have reintroduced BIDSHelper sort by name in all versions as of BIDS Helper 1.7.0