Parent child Hierarchy Issue

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:06 AM

I am trying to use BIDS helper to naturalise a parent child hierarchy but I keep getting this error message

it keeps coming up saying invalid object <table>. even when i try the dimension health check I keep getting this for all objects. I have admin privileges on the database. Is there anything else I need to do???

Coordinator
Aug 24, 2012 at 2:46 PM

that probably means there's something a bit abnormal about your DSV or something. If you can share your SSAS project with me, I'm sure I can debug this problem and fix it. Just click furmangg and then contact me then we can email files back and forth.

I tested this today and was able to naturalize the Employee parent-child dimension in Adventure Works and then run dimension health check.

Coordinator
Aug 29, 2012 at 3:02 PM

In some offline emails, there were several problems. First, the Parent-Child Dimension Naturalizer didn't properly support dimensions built-off a view in the SQL database. I checked in some code that will appear in the next release after 1.6.1 to fix this problem.

Secondly, the solution has a DSV1 pointing at DataSource1 as the primary data source, but the table for the parent-child dimension was coming from a second data source, DataSource2 even though it was in DSV1. Currently this isn't supported. I've added a work item to add support for this (or at least improve the error message): http://bidshelper.codeplex.com/workitem/33081

Finally, Dimension Health Check was failing due to a secondary data source, as mentioned above. I updated the Dimension Health Check page to mention this limitation. There's already a work item requesting support for this (or at least an improved error message): http://bidshelper.codeplex.com/workitem/20024

Coordinator
Feb 27, 2013 at 1:35 AM
The 1.6.2 release is out and fixes the problem if running Parent-Child Dimension Naturalizer on top of a SQL view.

The other two problems haven't been addressed as of yet.