Tabular Model URL/Drillthrough Actions

Topics: Standing Discussions
Sep 13, 2012 at 4:38 PM

All,

It would be really helpful if you can provide me some feedback on the follwing issuses: 

1. URL Action doesn't show up by right clicking on the target attribute member: 

Action Type: URL 

Target Type: Attribute Members

Target: [dimUsers].[User Name]

Expression:  "[URL HERE]"

2. Drill-through Action throws error: "The 'Drillthrough Test Action' action is a DrillThrough action that does not support the target type that has been provided"

Action Type: DrillThrough

Target Type: AttributeMembers

Target: [dimUsers].[User Name]

Drillthrough Columns: [Visit].[Date]

[Visit].[Charges]

[Visit Type].[Visit Type]

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

For the #1 problem, I assume you have [dimUsers].[User Name] on rows and are right clicking on a particular user name, rather than right clicking on a measure value for that user? Do you have any Perspectives? Is your PivotTable connected to the workspace database or the deployed database? What's the exact expression you are using to build the URL. If there's an error in that expression, the action won't show up.

For the #2 problem, I don't think you can do drillthrough from AttributeMembers. I think the only valid Target Type for drillthrough is Cells.

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Thanks for the quick response!

For #1 action: 

1.  For the #1 problem, I assume you have [dimUsers].[User Name] on rows and are right clicking on a particular user name, rather than right clicking on a measure value for that user?

- Yes

2.  Do you have any Perspectives? 

- No

3. Is your PivotTable connected to the workspace database or the deployed database?

- Deployed Database

4.  What's the exact expression you are using to build the URL. If there's an error in that expression, the action won't show up. 

- I cant disclose the server name due to security reasons, but the URL doesnt have errors, it shows up if I configure the action on cells. 

What would you suggest going forward?

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I assume you've deployed the database properly, since you're browsing the deployed database.

Can you open Management Studio and do a ProcessRecalc on the deployed database? I don't think that's going to make a difference, but we ran into an issue with KPIs and perspectives where ProcessRecalc solved the problem.

Can you provide the expression, replacing any server names or confidential information with dummy strings? The only thing I can think of is that the context is slightly different when run from AttributeMembers rather than Cells. I'd like to try to reproduce this in the Adventure Works model.

You might also download the Adventure Works Tabular model and reproduce the City Map URL action found in the wiki page for Tabular Actions Editor. Obviously that one works, so if you can validate it works in your environment, that might give you a clue how your action differs from it:
http://bidshelper.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Tabular%20Actions%20Editor&referringTitle=Documentation

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Can you open Management Studio and do a ProcessRecalc on the deployed database? 

- It didnt work

Can you provide the expression, replacing any server names or confidential information with dummy strings? 

- "http://servername/Demo/SmartQ.aspx?Rec=1369" - this one works as a url itself and as a cell target

It would be great to get your recommendation. Also, sometimes - based on the filter values - the additional actions are disabled and we cant understand why, can you help us with this? 

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I assume your expression is not a hardcoded URL. What I'm wanting is the MDX you're using, even if some of the strings involved have been changed to protect confidential info. For example:

"http://servername/Demo/SmartQ.aspx?Rec=" + [Geography].[City].CurrentMember.Name

I'm really unsure what's going on. I would encourage you to make sure the City Map example in Adventure Works is working on your system.

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:47 PM

We will try that. Also, is there dependency between the filters and the additional actions?

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:42 PM

p.s. We are trying with a hardcoded now, as we just want to have them showing up. Of course, we will change that, but right now we cant see the additional actions menu item -regardless of the url.

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2012 at 3:49 AM

I created a URL action tonight and it worked.

Did you have "Caption is MDX?" checked? That's certainly one place which could fail during evaluation of the MDX.

Other than that, I'm out of suggestions. Feel free to click the furmangg link and email me. Then we can correspond and you can send me the .bim file so I can take a look.