SSRS Extending on project properties

Topics: Standing Discussions
Feb 7, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Hi Guys,

Just a thought on an idea to extend the project properties to include data objects and other such things. Wanted to get some thoughts and feedback on it.

For example, In SSRS project properties I can specify deployment attributes regarding where and how to deploy data sources datasets and reports. Then there are configuration profiles (debug, debuglocal, release, etc) that are uniquely defined to deploy to different locations.

What about if I wanted the project to have an objects attributes section to permit configurability of, say, the data source connection strings based on which configuration profile you've selected?

I think this idea could be extended to SSAS and SSIS projects as well (of course in their own unique ways).

What do you think??

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:03 AM
That's not a bad idea. What I sometimes do is to set it to not overwrite data sources. Then it's just a matter of manually setting the proper connection string via Report Manager after I first deploy the data source. Then it won't be overwritten by future deployments.