Tabular Translation Editor

Topics: Standing Discussions
May 17, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Edited May 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Hi,

I have just installed BIDS Helper to visual studio 2010 to get access to the translation part for a Tabular Model and it works pretty well.

But I have a question is it possible to import the metadata into Tabular Translation Editor so I don’t have to write them in manually for every language I create? I already have a DB with the correct definition for each table, column and measure that I like to import for the different languages.

BR
Magnus
Coordinator
May 18, 2013 at 2:30 AM
Glad you're finding this feature useful.

Currently SSAS doesn't support getting translations from a database. And BIDS Helper doesn't either.

Given the SQL Server team has promised a release every 2-3 years, I'm hoping we'll start to see CTP (beta versions) of the next version of SQL Server in the next 6 months. I'm curious to know if they will choose to tackle translations for Tabular models. I'd kind of like to wait and see before investing any more in this feature in BIDS Helper.

If they don't, I'd be curious if people have a thought on which would be more helpful:
  1. Be able to export Translations to an Excel spreadsheet which can be handed to a less skilled language expert for filling in the translations... then import the Excel sheet back into BIDS Helper.
  2. Specify a certain SQL query result format (such as ObjectType (table, column, etc.), ObjectName, Language, CaptionTranslation, DisplayFolderTranslation (or something like this) then let the BIDS Helper user write such a SQL query to return that info to from their table structures.
Feedback welcome.
May 20, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Thanks for your answer furmangg.
Too bad I didn’t get the answer I was hoping for ;).
I guess we will have to wait and see if translation will come to Taular models in the next SQL Server release.

Between the options you mention, option number two is exactly what I was looking for. So if you will develop something like this into BIDS Helper that would be something that I love to see.

Thanks for a good addon

BR
Magnus