Reset Guids error

Topics: Standing Discussions
Aug 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM
When I try to reset Guids for my SSIS package, I get the error:

Value does not fall within the expected range. at EnvDTE.Find.set_FindWhat(String pFindWhat)

at BIDSHelper.ResetGuidsPlugin.Exec()

This is a new problem, but I can't figure out what change caused the issue. It happens for all of the SSIS packages that I had created in the past, but when I create a new package and then copy over the elements, I can reset the guids in that new package. I know that I had performed the Reset Guid operation on the old SSIS packages after copying objects.

Any ideas as to what is causing this issue?
Aug 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Well, after working on this for a while, I found the issue. Somehow my older packages ended up getting some variables changed to not have a GUID. So, the XML for the dtsx package had elements like this:

<DTS:Property DTS:Name="DTSID"></DTS:Property>

If I removed the variable and then added it back in, there was a DTSID generated and then the reset GUIDs worked fine. Just thought I would post an update so that if anybody else had the issue they may be able to fix it a little faster. As to how the SSIS packages got changed like that, I am at a loss, but at least I know how to fix it now.
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Thanks for tracking this down. That's definitely strange your package got into that state. I can see how this would blow up the BIDS Helper feature in question. I've just checked in a change so that it won't try to replace the "blank GUID" like you have in your corrupted package. That should prevent the error.