Tabular Action Editor - URL - # in URL not working

Jan 21 at 3:13 PM
Edited Jan 21 at 5:38 PM
Hi
I added a URL action Item to my Tabular model.

The invocation is set to interactive and I get the URL from the Dimension table using the following expression

Ex. {Existing [KPI].[Target Edit URL].[Target Edit URL].Members}.Item(0).Name

This specific URL has a # character in the uri.

Ex. http://website/sight/#/Displays/AdHoc?StartTime=*-30d&EndTime=*&DataItems=\\asvds\site\site1\abc\abc Converter\HGAA and RMH\Utilities\No Grey water received % of time\Targets

. When clicking on the action item the browser says it cannot find the website and replaces the # with %23-%23. I tried replacing the # with %23 and %20 in the URL itself but this did not work.

The Action Item works perfectly for another URL not using a # character.

Any assistance will be appreciated

Thanks
Coordinator
Jan 21 at 5:56 PM
Edited Jan 21 at 5:59 PM
Does the following URL work after it's encoded? That's just a guess.

If that works, the UrlEscapeFragment function may help get you there, but unfortunately it doesn't escape the / characters to %2F.
http://cwebbbi.wordpress.com/2006/02/03/url-encoding-in-mdx/


http://website/sight/#%2FDisplays%2FAdHoc%3fStartTime%3d*-30d%26EndTime%3d*%26DataItems%3d%5c%5casvds%5csite%5csite1%5cabc%5cabc%20Converter%5cHGAA%20and%20RMH%5cUtilities%5cNo%20Grey%20water%20received%20%25%20of%20time%5cTargets


.
Jan 22 at 7:10 AM
Edited Jan 22 at 7:16 AM
Hi

I tried the encoded URL inside the browser and the web application did not open properly. (It registered the site in the browser but did nothing else)

When using the URL from inside Tabular and using the action item from excel it also replaced the # character with %20-%20 and the website gave a page not found error.

The Tabular Action Editor seems to always replace the # with the space charaters %20-%20
Jan 22 at 11:50 AM
I did some more trouble shooting and found the following.

I tried replicating the error on my local machine which runs SQL Server 2012 without SP1. (11.0.2100.60) (X64)
The following URL worked perfectly from Excel using action items.

https://www.google.co.za/#q=%23

When trying this on the Server which runs SQL Server 2012 SP1 Cumulative Update 6 (11.0.3381.0) (X64)
the following error is given from excel.

__windows cannot find 'https://www.google.co.za/-q=%2__

When initially doing the URL in tabular this was working with the # inside the URL, but now it's not. We had to install CU6 to get the IsEmpty function in DAX.

Could the Cumulative update have broken this functionality?

Thanks, Drickus
Coordinator
Jan 22 at 4:08 PM
Sounds like a cumulative update broke this. Good catch.

My recommendation is that you reproduce this issue in a Multidimensional model (since actions in Tabular models aren't officially supported... but if they fix it for Multidimensional, it should be fixed for Tabular). Then report it to Microsoft. If it's a blocking issue, open a support case. If it's not something you need fixed in the next year, post it to https://connect.microsoft.com/sqlserver/feedback

Please do reply with the support case number or Connect link so others who hit this bug can track progress.
Jan 22 at 5:43 PM
Coordinator
Sep 1 at 7:23 AM
Since you reported the bug under Tabular not Multidimensional they closed the bug without fixing it.