Deploy Package confirmation would make me fell more comfortable.

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:33 PM
You deserve a medal for adding a feature pleading to be in the product.  I love deploy!

However, it's sooo easy to deploy, it's really dangerous.  A confirmation dialog showing what configuration you're in and what packages will be deployed to what location would prevent an undesired accidental push to production.

It's entirely possible to accidentally hit deploy while trying to select Build!

Keep up the GREAT work!
Apr 1, 2009 at 3:00 PM
We really patterned this feature after the SSRS Deploy functionality built into BIDS. It only shows you confirmation messages in the Output window.

Note the bottom of this page:

I would recommend you pin your Output window open and use that as your confirmation message. Will that work?

Thanks for your support! It's a joy to see people finding BIDS Helper as useful as we find it in our daily jobs.
Apr 9, 2009 at 4:34 PM
Thanks for the reply.  I noticed the nice touch of the summary actions in the output window.  I'm talking about a confirmation dialog BEFORE overwriting the target package(s).

It's way too easy to erroneously,
1) click the "deploy" menu item when you wanted to build the package. 
2) click deploy without double checking your target.  You only realize you've wiped out production AFTER it's done.

I'd be nice to have a dialog indicating (and maybe allowing change of) the current config selected, the target type, and the target destination, but at the very least it should be a simple OK/Cancel confirmation warni:

You are deploying using config "Production" and are about to overwrite packages at target xyz.  Proceed?

Since deployment is usually a single last step after many rounds of coding and debugging, I don't think anyone will complain about the extra security provided by such a dialog, but the implications of not having it are great.  (it could even be in your options list, "Confirm before Deploy") 

Happy coding!