Visual Studio 2008 not recognizing Bids Helper 1.6.5

Topics: Standing Discussions
Mar 12 at 11:38 PM
I have downloaded and installed Bids Helper V 1.6.5 a number of times, and whenever I go into Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.30729.4462 QFE, I look under Tools, Options, Bids Helper, Version and it still thinks I am running version 1.5.

Can someone help me understand what I am doing wrong?
Thansk
Coordinator
Mar 13 at 1:29 AM
Can you try uninstalling 1.6.5 and then check in Visual Studio if BIDSHelper is still there?

One possibility is that you may have done an xcopy deploy of v1.5 and an installer deploy of 1.6.5 so there are 2 versions of BIDSHelper on your machine in different locations.

If you've done an xcopy deploy you should be able to check the folders listed here and if you find the BIDSHelper related dlls and addin file you should just need to shutdown BIDS and then delete these files.

Once you can start BIDS and confirm that BIDSHelper is not running at all you should be right to install v1.6.5
Mar 13 at 11:46 PM
I have uninstalled all version of Bids Helper ( I had three). I went back into VS2008 and looked under Tools, Options and there was no BidsHelper entry at all.

Then closed VS and found the EXE file BIDSHelper2012Setup(1.6.5.0).exe which I ran with success, but still no Bidshelper in VS.

The setup extracted the files to C:\Program Files (x86)\BIDS Helper 2012. I checked Control Panel and programs and it's listed in there but nothing in VS.

Not sure what to do now,,,
Coordinator
Mar 14 at 12:05 AM
BIDSHelper2012 is the version of BIDSHelper that works with SQL2012 - so it will install into VS 2010

You need to install the version of BIDSHelper that matches the copy of SQL Server that you have:

BIDSHelper2005 for SQL Server 2005
BIDSHelper2008 for SQL Server 2008 or 2008/R2
BIDSHelper2012 for SQL Server 2012

If you are using VS 2008 I'm guessing that you are probably using one of the 2008 versions of SQL and would want use BIDSHelper2008Setup(1.6.5.0).exe
Mar 14 at 6:03 PM
Thank you for setting me straight - I'm not sure what I was thinking.
I used the appropriate 1.6.5 version for the correct version of SQL and it worked!