Context sensitive documentation/help using tabular actions

Topics: Standing Discussions
Jun 12, 2014 at 7:27 PM
Hi,

Using the tabular actions, I would like to create context sensitive documentation/help for our tabular model. The actions would be to execute SSRS reports that display the model documentation. A have a report for measure groups and another for dimensions. The context sensitive part would be when connected to the data model with Excel and looking at a measure from measure group "A", then the measure group report for measure group "A" to be the only tabular action option, similar for dimensions as well. I'm having a hard time filing out the Tabular Actions Editor to achieve this. Is this possible and if so, what is the right combination to do this?

I have a very general action working now with the following parameters:
Action Type = Url
Target Type = Cells
Expression = "http://..."

This works but is too broad a scope.

Ideally, I would want this to be dynamic as well.
Coordinator
Jun 12, 2014 at 9:24 PM
I would create one action per measure group.
Jun 13, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Thanks but what values do I need to put for the parameters below to make it work for a measure group?

Action Type = ?
Target Type = ?
Target = ?
Condition = ?
Jun 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Edited Jun 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM
Also, when I select Action Type = Url and Target type = Cells, I can't select anything for Target. Is this the desired functionality or should I be able to put a value for Target?
Jun 13, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Okay, it's working now.

The Target dropdown was not populated at first for Action Type = Url and Target Type = Cells. When I switched to Action Type = Drilldown, I could see values in the Target dropdown. When I went back to Action Type = Url, the values in the Target dropdown were still there. I then selected MeasureGroupMeasures("<my measure group>") and tested the action in Excel and it worked.
Jun 13, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Actually, I spoke too soon. I still can't limit the action to a specific measure group.

Here's what I'm seeing on the BIDS Helper Tabular Actions Editor:
  1. select Action Type = Drilldown
  2. select Target Type = something other than "Cells"
  3. select Target Type = Cells
  4. a list of values for MeasureGroupMeasures appears in Target
  5. select Action Type = Url
  6. the list of values for Target is still there
  7. select Target Type = something other than "Cells"
  8. select Target Type = Cells
  9. the Target dropdown is empty.
The Target dropdown does not seem to be applicable for the combination of Action Type = Url and Target Type = Cells.

How would you limit this action to a specific measure group?
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2014 at 4:56 PM
I'm not in front of a computer but try:

Action Type = Url
Target Type = Cells
Condition = [Measures].CurrentMember is [Measures].[My Measure 1] or [Measures].CurrentMember is [Measures].[My Measure 2]
Expression = "http://..."

Create one per measure group.

I agree it would be nice to use MeasureGroupMeasures for a URL action. I will add that as a BIDS Helper work item to see if it is possible.
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2014 at 4:58 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Jun 13, 2014 at 6:02 PM
Thanks! It's working with the condition you suggested.

Your help is much appreciated.
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2015 at 12:35 AM
Starting with release 1.7.0 you can use MeasureGroupMeasures from the drop down with all action types.
Marked as answer by furmangg on 3/17/2015 at 5:35 PM
Mar 18, 2015 at 11:10 AM

That’s great, thank you.