BidsHelper HideMemberIf with more than one hierarchy on a table

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:17 PM
Hello I'm having issues with HideMemberIf on the second hierarchy of a table in Tabular Model SQL Server 2012. VS hangs when trying to do so. Is it possible that HideMemberIf only works on one hierarchy of a table. It works fine for that one hierarchy , but I'm not able to set it for for the second one.

KR,
Marc
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2014 at 11:37 PM
I think this might be related to the number of "levels" that you are trying to hide. I have seen one example of a very large employee hierarchy (14 levels) and after about 7-8 levels we started to see SSDT hang. This may be why Microsoft chose not to expose the feature themselves...

We are using the technique ablerto blogged about here http://sqlblog.com/blogs/alberto_ferrari/archive/2011/07/19/parent-child-hierarchies-in-tabular-with-denali.aspx and that seems to be scaling better.
Sep 9, 2015 at 5:22 AM
Hello DGosbell,
  • Do you know if the alternative offered by Alberto Ferrari would work on a hierarchy with 17 levels ?
I am able to set-up the property "HideMemberIf" for about 14 levels, and then when trying to set-up this property for the level 15 Visual Studio hangs, and stops responding.

I wonder if even in Multidimensional Microsoft would have a restriction on the number of levels that can be handled on a Hierarchy.

Thanks for your comments.
Regards...
Jesus A. Varela
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2015 at 7:24 AM
No, sorry I've never done a ragged hierarchy that deep in Tabular. I don't think multi-dim has a specific restriction on ragged hierarchy depth, but it handles hierarchies differently anyway.
Sep 9, 2015 at 3:46 PM
Hi Darren,

I guess I will start to move my project from Tabular into Multidimensional. My hierarchy with 17 levels is for Cost Centers, my project is for Capital Expenditures, and the Cost Center hierarchy is the core to do all slice/dice on the data analysis.

Thank you for your reply, it is really appreciated.
Regards...