SSIS Sort packages by name

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:33 PM
BIDS helper used to have this functionality, but it was taken out when it was supposedly implemented directly by the SSDT-BI development team - unfortunately it has never actually worked. It only sorts in the IDE, it doesn't actually persist the changes to the project file. Any chance of bringing this functionality back to BIDS helper?
Aug 20, 2014 at 3:55 AM
Any chance of implementing this again? Microsoft has finally closed the bug for it after a year saying they won't fix it.

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedbackdetail/view/769342/sql-2012-datatools-ssis-sort-by-name-option-does-not-retain-sort-order-information
Coordinator
Aug 20, 2014 at 3:38 PM
I checked the code, and yes, BIDS Helper no longer displays our Sort SSIS Packages feature in SQL2008 and forward (since MS supposedly implemented it).

All the BIDS Helper code was doing was sorting the packages list and making sure the dtproj file is marked dirty so the user can save it to disk.

I'm not clear on the MS bug. It seems like you describe that the correct sort order gets saved in the dtproj file successfully. But then when you open up the project sometimes it displays as completely reversed. And when you add a new package, the dtproj file gets out of order despite the order on the screen in SSDT being correct.

So simply turning on the BIDS Helper feature again doesn't seem like it will solve the problem. Does that sound right?

It seems like more drastic measures are needed... like maybe a BIDS Helper project level setting (or maybe global setting) that automatically sorts all SSIS projects when they are opened.

Please let us know what you think and what you have observed.
Developer
Aug 20, 2014 at 4:31 PM
Glad I'm not the only one not quite clear on this. Whilst we could easily re-enable the feature, I nearly did, I'm not sure it will solve all scenarios described.

Perhaps one option would be a private build that you could test?
Dec 5, 2014 at 1:07 AM
Sorry for the slow response.

The current functionality in SSIS does not retain any sort order information at all. It does not save anything to the disk, and only appears to alter an in memory representation of the sort order. Their viable 'workaround' in the connect bug was to open the dtproj file and edit it manually into the order you wanted it sorted, or to sort it again each time you open it.

I used the old sort functionality in BIDS helper quite a lot and it worked great. I suspect if it was re-enabled it'd likely work great again. I'm certainly willing to test a private build.
Developer
Mar 20, 2015 at 9:08 AM
As of BIDS Helper 1.7.0, just released, the sort by name feature is included for all versions, and now renamed Sort by name, persisted to overcome the issue described above.
Mar 20, 2015 at 1:20 PM
Awesome, thanks a lot! I dropped a note about 1.7 on my connect bug regarding the issue as well.
Developer
Mar 23, 2015 at 10:33 AM
Unfortunately all is not as good as it could be. If you are using the original package deployment model, then it works as expected.

If you are using the newer Project deployment model, sorting works, but it won't be saved. We have had a look but can't seem to fix this, so are trying an alternative auto-sort feature instead. Testing is ongoing.