BIML - Visual Studio crashes regenerating packages with sequence containers

Topics: Standing Discussions
Aug 11, 2014 at 1:24 PM

When using biml with sequence containers, my Visual Studio crashes whenever I generate a package that then must reload the already opened DTSX file. The issue seems to only happen when using biml to generate a package that contains at least one sequence container. I have BIDS Helper Version, running on Visual Studio 2012 Shell.

I can reproduce this issue with the following code:
<Biml xmlns="">
        <Package Name="Test" ConstraintMode="Parallel" ProtectionLevel="EncryptSensitiveWithUserKey">
                <Container Name="SEQ 1" ConstraintMode="Parallel" />
The first time I run this, it works as expected and creates the Test.dtsx package. I open the Test.dtsx package and there is a sequence container. If I then "Generate SSIS Package" while the package is already open, select to overwrite/reload the file, I receive the following error multiple times (seems like 4 times per sequence container). Everything was generated correctly, but the error box still shows. However, if I close the package in Visual Studio, then generate and manually open, there is no issue.
TITLE: Microsoft Visual Studio
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Graph)
Is anyone else seeing this behavior and if so, is there a fix?
Aug 13, 2014 at 2:32 AM
I would suggest that the short term work around would be to close the package before regenerating it. I suspect that VS is re-reading the file as BIML engine is in the process of re-writing it. I'm not sure if there will be an easy fix for this or whether we might just look at popping up a warning when you have dtsx files open when generating a BIML file.
Mar 18, 2015 at 12:23 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Jul 21, 2015 at 3:45 PM
I and a colleague are also seeing this class of error error. BIDSHelper 1.7/VS2010 shell/SQL 2012. Closing before regenerating is a good workaround. Continued on the work item.