Can we have a 'Dimension Usage' document generator in BIDS Helper

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I just have some suggestions/requests for BIDS Helper. I'm using BIDS Helper on VS2010 Premium so ignore me if its already present in latest versions. Thanks.

While creating the documentation of a tabular model project that I work on I effectively have to create a excel table which looks like Dimension Usage tab of the SSAS.

In my excel I have to mention which table links to which other table using which field(s). It would be nice if this functionality is created in the BIDS Helper.

Also in SSAS-Multidimensional cube the feature "Printer Friendly Dimension Usage" is good for documentation. However there should have been option to get the view same as in the Dimension Usage Tab. Just that this version would be in excel and would give exact field names which are providing the link.

Happy to discuss further.

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Release 1.6.4 introduced the "Bus Matrix" (or as you call it, the Dimension Usage tab view) of this report for Multidimensional models, so make sure you have the latest version of BIDS Helper and test this out.

The next release we do will include this feature for Tabular models. If you would like to beta test this, please click on furmangg and send me an email.
Marked as answer by furmangg on 3/17/2015 at 12:28 PM
Oct 27, 2014 at 5:13 AM
Thanks! That should do.