BIDS Helper crashing in Visual Studio Data Tools for VS 2012 and SQL Server 2014

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:55 PM
I am developing tabular cubes in VS 2012 for SQL Server 2014 and BIDS Helper is crashing with the message:

BIDS Helper encountered an error when Visual Studio started:
Unable to load one or more of the requested types.

Followed by many more messages regarding specific BIDS types

Is this configuration supported?
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2015 at 9:03 PM
Edited Mar 17, 2015 at 9:03 PM
What file did you download from the Releases page? Did you do an xcopy deploy? Did you unblock the BIDSHelper.dll?
https://bidshelper.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=xcopy%20deploy

VS2012 is for SQL 2012 (so use BIDS Helper 2012).
VS2013 is for SQL2014 (so use BIDS Helper 2014).
Marked as answer by furmangg on 3/17/2015 at 2:04 PM
Mar 18, 2015 at 1:28 PM
Edited Mar 18, 2015 at 1:40 PM
Thanks for the response.

I used the .exe installer. I've tried both the 2014 and 2012 versions.

The .dlls do not appear to be blocked.

When I installed 2014, it didn't show up in the "About Visual Studio" page.

When I installed 2012 it did but I got the messages described previously on the Tools...Options...BIDS Helper...Version page. On it page it also says

BIDS Helper for SQL Server 2012
Version 1.7.0.0
SSDTBI 2014 for Visual Studio 2012 was detected

The releases page indicates that BH 2012 is supported for VS 2012 and SQL 2012 and that BH2013 is for SQL 2014 and VS 2013.

I am using VS 2012 with SQL 2014. Is that configuration not supported?

Here is the full dump of error messages that I am getting (at least until it gets truncated):

BIDS Helper encountered an error when Visual Studio started:
Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(RuntimeModule module)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes()
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
at BIDSHelper.Connect.Extensibility.IDTExtensibility2.OnConnection(Object application, ext_ConnectMode connectMode, Object addInInst, Array& custom)
Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.DlgGrid, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Fusion Log:
WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.FrontEnd, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Fusion Log:
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.FrontEnd, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Fusion Log:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Fusion Log:

Fusion Log:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Fusion Log:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.ManagedDTS, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Fusion Log:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.VsIntegration, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Fusion Log:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Fusion Log:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.ManagedDTS, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Fusion Log:

Fusion Log:

Fusion Log:

Fusion Log:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.DTSRuntimeWrap, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Fusion Log:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.IntegrationServices.Graph, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Fusion Log:
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2015 at 2:28 PM
Do you have a link for where you installed SSDTBI? I bet you have the SQL2014 CTP (beta) version. This isn't supported. I would uninstall that and install

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42313
And BIDS Helper 2014
Marked as answer by furmangg on 3/18/2015 at 10:40 AM
Mar 18, 2015 at 3:45 PM
Not sure about the CTP version of SSDT. In "About Visual Studio" it doesn't say CTP and I don't see it in "Uninstall Programs" in Control Panel although I do see a couple of CTP items related to SQL 2014 but nothing specific to SSDT or VS.

However, the link you provided also gave me the VS 2013 shell so I can do development there now and BIDS Helper 2014 is working for me so as far as I'm concerned, problem solved.

Thanks!