BIDS Helper Not Building Correctly

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:58 PM
I am having issues compiling the 2008BIDSHelper solution. I am using Visual Studio 2010 Express on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine. It compiles correctly and I get no errors, but when I try to copy the DLLs and AddIn file to the C:\Program Files (x86)\BIDS Helper 2008\ folder it doesn't seem to work correctly. What doesn't work, is that when I re-open BIDS 2008, the BIDS Helper add-ins aren't available. If I revert back to the original files, it works just fine, but the compiled versions I made do not work. I am new to working on this project and I am not sure what to look for at this point for troubleshooting. I did check the discussions on this and didn't find anything that looked related. I did see a thread concerning compiling on a 64-bit computer, but it looks like that was addressed already. If someone could provide some pointers on how to get this so I can build it correctly, that would be great! Let me know if there is any other additional information you need.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Aug 21, 2015 at 2:13 PM
When you launch BiDS and go to Tools... Options... BIDS Helper... Version what do you see? If that's not there what do you see in addin manager? Did it try to launch BIDS Helper and fail?
Aug 21, 2015 at 6:23 PM
When I got to Tools>Options>BIDS Helper, it is not listed. When I go to Add-in Manager it is not listed their either. I don't receive any errors or failure notifications. It just doesn't show up.
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2015 at 12:25 AM
go to Tools... Options... Add-in/Macro Security... then add the path to the folder with the .addin and DLLs, then restart Visual Studio.
Aug 22, 2015 at 8:06 PM
That path was already setup in the Addin/Macro Security config, and it still isn't loading.
Aug 26, 2015 at 12:46 PM
furmangg, Any suggestions on what I can try next?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2015 at 12:51 PM
I am able to put in devenv.exe (the version of BIDS you want to run) in the debug project properties and then F5 launch in debug mode and break on exceptions or break points. You might try that
Aug 26, 2015 at 1:38 PM
Could you provide a screenshot of what property you are setting and how to use it?
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2015 at 3:12 PM
Right click on the BIDS Helper project node in Solution Explorer... Properties... Debug tab... put the full path to the right devenv.exe in the "Start external program" box
Aug 26, 2015 at 3:37 PM
I didn't see a "Start external program" box. If you follow this (http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=5a4f77b) there is a screenshot of what I was able to do on that Debug screen. As you can see I put in the path to the devenv.exe but it didn't allow me to debug/trace through to see any errors.

Am I on the wrong screen or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks again for all your help and patience!
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2015 at 5:46 PM
Maybe that's a Visual Studio Express limitation? Maybe try with a full version of VS and C# installed?

Of course another approach to this is for you to prototype the code changes or features and then send the BIDS Helper dev team the code and request we include it in a future release.
Aug 26, 2015 at 6:43 PM
I did find that it is a limitation of VSE, but I found a work around here (http://stewartr.blogspot.com/2006/09/debugging-nunit-in-visual-studio.html) where you can modify the CSPROJ file to make it start an EXE correctly. After I did that modification, it does start BIDS, but I can't seem to get it to throw any errors. It's like it's not even loading the BIDS Helper add-in that I am compiling.

I haven't even started to work on the modifications that I was looking into, but it's hard to develop this without being able to test it and see if it's working.

Any thoughts on if there is any way to get logging out of BIDS for why it can't load the BIDS add-in that I compiled?
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2015 at 9:02 PM
Which .addin file have you copied into the folder? You need to have the SQL2008 version that targets Host Application version 9.0 or Visual Studio 2008 will not try to load the addin. If the target version is correct and the LoadBehavior for the Addin is set to 1 then that should be enough to get it appearing in the addin manager.
Marked as answer by furmangg on 9/5/2015 at 4:12 AM
Aug 26, 2015 at 9:44 PM
dgosbell, that did it! For some reason the .addin file didn't exist. I am guessing that I overlooked it. Once I verified that it existed and with the right version and LoadBehavior I then got it to show up!

Thanks again to both of you!