Deploy (BIDS Helper) missing - FIXED

Topics: Resolved, Standing Discussions
Jul 8 at 9:40 PM
Hi all,
I am using BIDS Helper 2014 1.7.0.0 on Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate (SSDT-BI) for SQL Server 2014. The addin is functioning correctly, well almost. The only functionality I cannot get out of it is deploying to a SQLServerDestination, because the whole "Deploy (BIDS Helper)" section is missing. To reproduce, right-click SSIS project, go to Properties. It should be there, below the Debugging menu item, but it is MISSING.

I recently changed laptops, but I have installed the same tools. the OS is Win7 Pro SP1.

I noticed on one of the recent changes, DarrelSQLIS commeited "Corrected SsisTargetServerVersion issues back on 2016" changes. Could this have messed something up?

Please help!
Coordinator
Jul 8 at 10:52 PM
Is you ssis project definitely configured for package deployment mode, not project deployment mode? (You will see a "Convert to Project Deployment Mode" option in the project's right click menu option if it is in Package mode. The deploy properties only display if you are using the legacy package deployment mode - I just double checked on my machine and it works for me. The changes by DarrenSQLIS for 2016 are not in v1.7.0
Jul 9 at 2:00 PM
Thanks for your response!
I have 2008, 2010, 2013 "bids" versions on my new PC. On my old PC all versions worked fine with "BIDS Helper".
On my new PC:
  • the 2008 worked fine since the start,
  • the 2010 works fine NOW since I followed your suggestion about package deployment mode (Thanks!)
  • the 2013 still not working (I tried converting to package deployment mode, creating a simple new project, reinstalling all tools related to this version, etc.;nothing worked)
I am now installing 2013 stuff on my home laptop to see if I can reproduce it. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Jul 9 at 9:20 PM
Can you look for a debug file in the following path which you can send us via attaching it to a new issue under Issue Tracker:
C:\Users\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\BidsHelperDeploySSISPackagesPropertiesMenuDebugLog.txt

If it's not there then do Windows-R... %temp% and then look in that temp folder for that file.
Jul 11 at 8:01 PM
Edited Jul 11 at 8:01 PM
Hi furmangg,
I looked for that file everywhere and couldn't find anything. I did a clean install of SSDT-BI and BIDS Helper 2014 on my home laptop and it worked fine. I uninstalled and re-installed both on my work laptop and it DIDN'T work. So, there must be some setting on my work laptop that prohibits "Deploy (BIDS Helper)" to be visible.

Do you have any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!
Jul 13 at 7:31 PM
I just wanted to write an update as it may save other people A LOT OF TROUBLESHOOTING :)

It turns out, the issue is related to other Visual Studio Add-ins. I specifically have "ApexSQL Refactor" and "ApexSQL Search". As soon as I disable them and reopen VS, the "Deploy (BIDS Helper)" option shows up. I was able to reproduce the issue by enabling add-ins again.

It may be a bug in "BIDS Helper", or within VS, or it may be due to the sequence add-ins load (both other add-ins appear before BIDSHelper on the list). I am not sure, but I know disabling others fixed BIDS Helper for me.

Hope this helps someone.
Aug 3 at 11:28 PM
Edited Aug 3 at 11:28 PM
This is now happening for me with Visual Studio 2015 and BIDS helper 1.1.5 - it is the beta version.

Definitely have package deployment model in SQL Server 2012 mode.

Is there any fix?
Aug 4 at 10:12 PM
The only way I was able to fix it the way I described above, by disabling some of my other VS add-ins.
HTH
Aug 4 at 10:38 PM
Thanks Billy, but this is a fresh install with only the inbuilt addins