Refresh package from server

Aug 31 at 5:54 PM
I have a problem where I need to retrieve SSIS projects from an active server. Can BIDS helper do that? I/m thinking I would point at the server and SSISDB catalog, then have BIDS help find matching projects and packages (by name) and pull them from SSISDB into my project.

Is there a way to do that?
Coordinator
Aug 31 at 8:24 PM
There is nothing in BIDS Helper to do this, but the native tools have this ability. You just need to browse to your SSIS project in SSMS, right click on it and export it to a .ispac file. Then fromt SSDT you do File -> New Project and choose the "Integration Services Project Import Wizard"
Sep 1 at 1:16 PM
Hmmm interesting, Can I use this to refresh my copy from the server?
Coordinator
Sep 1 at 9:00 PM
If by "refresh" you mean merge the contents of the ipac file into an existing project then the answer is no - I don't believe this is possible. SSIS project files are stored as XML and I have not seen any tools or libraries that do a good job of diff'ing or merging XML. But the version deployed to the server cannot be updated on the server itself, all changes have to be done by editing a project and re-deploying, so if you have the original project there is no need to merge the one off the server. The only thing that can be changed on the server are connection string and configuration settings.

If you are not sure if you have the latest copy of the project then it might be better to just delete your existing project and pull down a fresh version from the server. If you don't have too many packages in your project you could try using BIDS Helper's Smart Diff feature to look for changes, but that could get tedious if you have a lot of packages.
Sep 9 at 2:07 PM
Actually all I mean is replace the contents of the project with what is on the server. I supposed I could pull it into a new project then just copy/replace the bits. A little tedious I suppose. Hoping there's another way.
Coordinator
Sep 10 at 3:19 AM
The only reason to do that would be if you have multiple copies of the project lying around and you're not sure which one was last deployed to the server. Because you can't change the project once it's on the server. You can only change the server version by deploying from a project. If that's the case, just delete the whole project from your PC and create a new project from the ispac file. Don't muck around copying and replacing individual bits.
Sep 12 at 1:30 PM
dgosbell wrote:
The only reason to do that would be if you have multiple copies of the project lying around and you're not sure which one was last deployed to the server.
Bingo!
Because you can't change the project once it's on the server. You can only change the server version by deploying from a project. If that's the case, just delete the whole project from your PC and create a new project from the ispac file. Don't muck around copying and replacing individual bits.
Ok -- that should do it. Thanks!