Installation problem

Topics: Resolved
Apr 9, 2007 at 3:10 PM
Hello,

I've compiled your project and placed it and the supplied .Addin file together in C:\Documents and Settings\tsmith\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Addins. When I run the addin I'm getting a message box saying "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." Are there any other installation steps involved, or will I just have to debug the addin to figure this out? We're running VS 05 SP1 and SS 05 SP2.

Thank you,
Terry
Apr 9, 2007 at 3:26 PM
Clarification: The error message appears when I uncheck the addin on the tools menu, and in a BIDS project none of the new addin features show up as expected.
Coordinator
Apr 9, 2007 at 6:36 PM
What OS are you running?

When you say you were "unchecking the addin" do you mean that you were unchecking the "Tools... BIDS Helper... Show Extra Properties" menu item? Or did you mean that you were unchecking BIDSHelper under Add-In Manager which you can get to via "Tools... Add-In Manager"?
Apr 9, 2007 at 8:49 PM
I'm running Win XP. I was unchecking the "Tools... BIDS Helper... Show Extra Properties" menu item.

Thanks
Coordinator
Apr 9, 2007 at 9:44 PM
You might try checking that menu option before you open up any project in BIDS. What windows were open when you were checking/unchecking it last time? Sometimes it takes opening and closing a window for it to "take".
Apr 9, 2007 at 10:43 PM
I can check the menu option, open a BIDS project, and none of the add-in features are showing up. For example, if I open a cube, go to calculations, click the properties toolbar item, and the Edit Description button is not appearing.
Coordinator
Apr 10, 2007 at 4:38 AM
Were you by chance editing your cube live in online mode?

A known issue has been that the features weren't enabled when a cube is being edited in online mode. I've fixed that issue now. All the features (except for Deploy MDX Script) should now be available in online mode. I'm hoping this solves your issue, but let us know if it doesn't.
Apr 11, 2007 at 3:19 PM
Thank you, that fixed the problem!

We will be using your tool a lot. Thank you for putting it together. I hope you will have binaries available soon.

When I compile the code I have to add back three references to private assemblies first. For future reference for anyone else reading this, these three DLLs can be found here: C:\program files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2007 at 8:13 PM
Glad that fixed the problem, and glad this tool will be helpful. Hopefully we'll have a release done in the next few weeks.

I changed the .csproj file and made the HintPath settings full paths instead of relative paths. Hopefully you will be able to compile with no extra fixing of references now.

Keep us posted if you have other suggestions for features. Thanks for your interest.