1
Vote

Tabular Display Folders(root)

description

When try to put field under root folder I get error. See attach

file attachments

comments

wisetex wrote Jun 30, 2013 at 5:51 PM

_

wisetex wrote Jun 30, 2013 at 5:51 PM

-

dgosbell wrote Jun 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM

The root folder is just an empty string. I don't believe that you are allowed to start a folder name with \

We should probably look into preventing this being entered. But for the time being the simple work around for you is to leave the folder setting empty for anything that you want to appear at the root level.

wisetex wrote Jul 1, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Since there is a hierarchy all fields (Half Year,Month,Quarter ...) with empty folder string appear in "More fields" folder.

The problem is that i try to make field "Year" root and get error. I try to make it like in documentation tips:
http://bidshelper.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Tabular%20Display%20Folders&referringTitle=Documentation

furmangg wrote Jul 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM

As the wiki page for Tabular Display Folders says, "If a field is showing up under the "More fields" folder in the Excel field list, setting the display folder to a backslash (i.e. \ ) will cause it to show up under the root of the table, not under the "More fields" folder."

So it's definitely supported. Are you sure the error relates to that?

I think the error isn't related to the backslash but rather to something else. For example, many changes you make to a model like creating a new measure will unfortunately wipe out the display folders. That popup you got asking to restore them is BIDS Helper's way of trying to deal with this without losing your folders.

I assume it is able to fix the folder after you click OK?

wisetex wrote Jul 2, 2013 at 2:24 AM

1.Yes, I think that error relate to backslash.I just started to do the cube, so that not a lot of changes. For example got an error immediately on fist dimension Time
  1. I try to reproduce bug on simple example(DimTable and FactTable). See attach

furmangg wrote Jul 3, 2013 at 4:26 AM

Thank you so much for the persistence explaining this bug to us. You are absolutely right. There's a bug in the SSAS server that loses AttributeHierarchyDisplayFolder=. The bug impacts both Multidimensional and Tabular models. Since that AttributeHierarchyDisplayFolder=\ trick is supported in Multidimensional, I'm hopeful they will get the bug fixed:
https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/792403/attributehierarchydisplayfolder-of-backslash-lost-on-xmla-alter

I was able to reproduce when my SSAS server is on AS2012 SP1 CU4. What version of server are you on? (I'm not sure if the bug occurred in CU4 or before.)

Assuming they get the bug fixed in a two months (being optimistic) are you OK waiting? If you're desperate for a workaround, let me know and I may have a very hacky and manual workaround.

wisetex wrote Jul 3, 2013 at 7:27 AM

You welcome.

My version is AS2012 SP1 CU4. Not sure exactly, but I think this bug is not present in the earlier version of AS 2012.I made such a conclusion because I had stood like version 11.00.2845 (do not remember) and it worked.

If this is possible and not difficult, it would be good to have a temporary solution manual.

furmangg wrote Jul 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I would recommend waiting on a future cumulative update that fixes the problem.

If you're desperate, you could do the following. The only workaround I can find is the following. I haven't tested it thoroughly, but if you script the whole model once deployed as an Alter, then edit the XMLA and add the Translations element to the Attribute element, and provide a translation for your default language (look for the <Language> tag under the top level Database node to see what language your model is). Make sure to provide a matching translation for all properties you have set (description, caption, and DisplayFolder). It appears to keep the DisplayFolder=\ properly. And it appears to work in Excel.

<Attribute>
<ID>col1</ID>
<Name>col1</Name>
<Translations>
<Translation>
<Language>1033</Language>
<Caption>col1 translation</Caption>
<Description>col1 desc translation</Description>
<DisplayFolder>\</DisplayFolder>
</Translation>
</Translations>
</Attribute>

I'm not sure of the long term ramifications of this, so I would definitely delete this after a future cumulative update fix comes out.

Hope that helps in the time being.

wisetex wrote Jul 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Found another one solution(Is to make hierarchy with 1 field which we want to appear in root).

For example (on proj test_bug.zip). Filed "Date_Name" hide and rename to "_Date_Name". Create Hierarchy "Date_Name" with only 1 field "_Date_Name".

Tnks, for all.

P.S.Close the issue after reading.We all need to do our part. It remains Microsoft to fix it :)

wisetex wrote Jul 3, 2013 at 5:12 PM

It may be worth adding a link to this post in an (https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/792403/attributehierarchydisplayfolder-of-backslash-lost-on-xmla-alter ).

Can someone come in handy solutions while Microsoft will fix bug.