SmartDiff: Microsoft.VisualStudio.SourceSafe.Interop not found

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:48 AM

I have installed BIDS Helper on VS2005, and I have also installed the Team Explorer Client linked on the SmartDiff page. Yet, it doesn't work. When using SmartDiff I am told that the file Microsoft.VisualStudio.SourceSafe.Interop cannot be found. I have searched my filesystem, and indeed it is not there. Is there any other piece of software I'll have to install to make this work?

Thanks to the project members for sharing this great tool!

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM

I believe Smart Diff will use Team Explorer Client if SourceSafe is not installed. Can you double check you installed exactly this software:

You can certainly install SourceSafe 2005 if you like. But it shouldn't be necessary if you already have Team Explorer Client.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:32 AM

that is exactly what I have installed. I even used the link on the BIDS Helper web site to access the download.

So is what you're saying that the missing component is normally installed together with Team Explorer Client 2005? Maybe I should try to reinstall...

btw: I do have SourceSafe 6 installed, but since only 2005 seems to help I installed Team Explorer Client 2005.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Interesting. Maybe the problem is that BIDS Helper doesn't correctly distinguish that SourceSafe 6 but not SourceSafe 2005 is installed. You might try installing SourceSafe 2005 for the time being.

I'll put it on my list to take a look at. I'm not sure I've ever tested BIDS Helper with only SourceSafe 6.