Deploy SSIS Package

Topics: Resolved
Feb 8, 2008 at 1:47 AM
Can you guys write an addin to right-click an SSIS package and choose "Deploy SSIS Package" to send to an IS server? That would be an awesome addition to the project!

Feb 11, 2008 at 11:19 AM
Interesting idea. So when you right click on a package in solution explorer and pick "Deploy" your options would be:

1. set the destination server name and destination path
2. SQL vs. SSIS Package Store destination
3. integrated security vs. SQL security to connect (we may not allow SQL security... just depends on how we decide to implement this feature and if we decide to persist these above destination settings)

Any other dtutil options that would absolutely neededa to be supported to meet your needs?

I've added a feature request for this. Feel free to vote for it here or to discuss the concept further here.
Feb 11, 2008 at 1:36 PM
You know what, it might be much simpler if you could just kick off the "Package Installation Wizard".

So it could be right-click on the package, choose "Install Package...", it would build the project, then kick off the installation wizard from the package manifest file.

What do you think
Feb 11, 2008 at 1:44 PM
What I would like is something that works, in stead of package installation wizard.

When we deploy a package to a directory, and it has configuration files, I would like for the path to the configuration files to be updated in the dtsx package.
Feb 11, 2008 at 3:33 PM
We've been discussing this feature among the BIDS Helper developers. Here's what we're thinking, pending we can figure out how to do the following add-in ideas:

1. Right click on the SSIS project node and choose properties. We'll add a new BIDS Helper Deploy tab which will let you enter the deployment options for SSIS Package Store, SQL, or simple file copy destination.
2. Right click on the SSIS project node, or an individual package, or multi-selected packages and choose Deploy. It will deploy without any further prompts.

We talked through package configurations and agreed that there are so many different approaches (SQL, env variable, dtsConfig) and so many different permutations to how people approach deployment, that it would be very difficult to tackle in BIDS Helper. So we're probably going to skip configuration deployment at least in v1 of the BIDS Helper functionality.

As for relative paths to dtsConfig files, you can do that currently. Just put in a relative path when you point the package to the config file. When you run dtexec, start it via a bat command and use the CD command to change the working directory to the directory with packages and dtsConfig files. During development in BIDS, you may need to also start BIDS with a bat file that changes the working directory similar to what I mentioned with dtexec.
Feb 16, 2008 at 12:34 PM
This feature is complete. It is not in the release (though it will be in the next one). In the mean time, you'll have to compile the source code from the Source Code tab to get this feature.

More details about the feature are available here: Deploy SSIS Packages

We would love feedback in the next week or two about our implementation of this feature. And we would appreciate if you tested it, too.
Feb 17, 2008 at 4:08 PM
Looks Great!, Is there any documentation on how to install the add-in after it is compiled?

Feb 17, 2008 at 9:59 PM
Good point. We haven't posted those instructions anywhere.

I've just written up the instructions:
Feb 19, 2008 at 2:11 PM
Thanks, after following the instructions, The "deploy" option comes up and tells me to Deployment FilePath is not set. But when I right-click the project and choose properties, I get "Class not registered. Looking for object with CLSID {BAB0643E-D93A-11DC-9304-0A8755D89593}". Could I be missing a reference or something?
Feb 19, 2008 at 3:38 PM
You didn't download the latest source code.
Feb 19, 2008 at 6:35 PM
..That would help. Works awesome.

You guys are great! Thanks