deploy SSIS configurations?

Topics: Resolved
Aug 24, 2008 at 11:28 PM
dvmorris wrote  Thu at 12:58 PM
Is there a plan to make this feature deploy config files? I don't know how I can use it without the ability to deploy the config files. The way our project is set up we have the config file paths pointed to a DEV subfolder, and there really isn't any functionality in SSIS that will allow me to just change the file paths of each config file when I deploy a package.

The only way I know how to do it is create the deploymentManifest file, run it, change the config values in each file to point to test or prod databases, and then deploy those config files to some other location. I would really like to be able to just change the config file path at deployment time. Then I could just have three sets of the same config files, one for DEV, TEST, PROD, and not have to deploy the config files every time.

I feel like the way we are doing configurations on our project is not really correct, but I can't think of how else to do it. Any ideas?

Aug 24, 2008 at 11:36 PM
The possible permutations for how developers could choose to setup and deploy package configurations is so complex we didn't tackle it. (Plus, this is usually a one-time manual effort to setup the configurations on a new server.) That's something we're considering for a future release, but it's probably not at the top of the priority list.

If you have thoughts on how deploying configurations should work, and if you have thoughts on the most common SSIS configuration schemes, feel free to comment and we'll consider it.