Scripted deployments/Deployment history?

Topics: Resolved
Nov 4, 2008 at 8:24 PM
Edited Nov 4, 2008 at 8:31 PM
I'm not sure if this exists or not already, but I often want to look back and see the dates/times/output of the times I've deployed to various environments using the right-click-deploy option.  I can't find where to log this history in Visual Studio, and don't know if BIDS Helper supports this.  Would this be something that BIDS Helper could do, or is a better option to do scripted deployments using Deployment Wizard (not sure if it supports keeping history though)?

Thanks

-Kory
Coordinator
Nov 5, 2008 at 4:15 AM

Hi Kory, I do not think that this information gets logged anywhere by VS and I don't think that the Deployment Wizard tracks a history either (although you might be able to manually build something around this). It probably is something that we could build into BIDS Helper, but I also just saw the post you did on the forum an put the following response there.

I am not aware of any feature "out of the box" that meets this requirement. However, you could setup a trace, either a server side trace to a .trc file or you could possibly use something like the ASTrace sample project to log to a database or text file. You would only need to capture command events and could filter the capture for just CREATE and ALTER subclasses and if you like you could even capture the entire XMLA command in addition to things like the date and time and current user. I think this is probably the best way of tracking this as it would be logged by the server and there would be no way to circumvent this mechanism (even changing the database online would be captured by this technique)