Tabular Translations Editor with Excel Services

May 24, 2013 at 8:14 AM
I have installed the tabular translations editor and can successfully created translated column names for my tabular model. When I deploy and subsequently browse the model using SSMS I can see the translated column names when I select the relevant language in the SSMS browser.

However, I cannot see the translated column names from with Sharepoint using IE9. I have set IE9 to French and see the Sharepoint pages translated into French but my Excel file that references the tabular model still displays the field list in the original language. Do I actually need to install a French language pack on my Windows 7 machine or should setting IE to French permit me to view the column names in French?

Many thanks

Graham Goodwin
May 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Hmm. I don't know exactly what is required off the top of my head. I'll have to check my notes.

What Sharepoint version?

Did you already install the Sharepoint language pack and change to that language in the user menu?

Please post back if you figure it out.
May 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Edited May 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Thanks for your reply. I have managed to get it working now. In IE9 I was setting the language to French (Switzerland) and this seems to work within Sharepoint 2013 fine (the French language pack is already installed). However, when setting the language column within the Tabular Translations Editor to the same language, none of the translated values were displayed. So I tried entering translations for French (France) and these seem to display okay within Excel Services.

One slight problem that I now have is that I cannot remove the French (Switzerland) values from within the Tabular Translations Editor. I can select the 'Remove Language' okay but when I then click the OK button in the dialog a error message dialog appears stating 'Collection was modified; enumeration may not execute . . .'. The French (Switzerland) column is the right-most one within the Tabular Translations Editor dialog. Also, I am using Visual Studio 2010. Let me know if you need more information/screenshots.
May 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Thanks for catching this bug. I was able to reproduce and fix this bug. It should be in the next release.

Can you live with the extra languages being in there for now?

Glad you figured out the Excel Services translations thing.
May 24, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Yes, the extra language is no problem. I'm pleased that it works as there is currently no such solution from Microsoft.