SSIS Deploy package name using name propertie instead of filename

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:48 AM
Edited Sep 4, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Hello,

How can we deploy a package using name propertie instead of filename as package name ?

With dtutil it's Ok but even with management studio or Bids helper it often takes package filename.

Thanks for help

Stephan Guilleminot

Coordinator
Sep 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Interesting. I didn't realize dtutil used the PackageName property instead of the file name. BIDS Helper's Deploy SSIS Packages feature uses dtutil under the covers except in the situation where it's just copying to a directory.

I have to say it's probably not a best practice to have the PackageName not match the file name. I would use the following feature to identify places where that's the case then fix them:

http://bidshelper.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Sortable%20Package%20Properties%20Report

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:11 PM
Edited Sep 4, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Yes it does, but I would like it uses the name property instead of the package file name..

I was trying to use naming conventions as describe there by Jamie Thomson but periods are not supported in package name :

"Also, another disadvantage is that the 'Name' property of a package (which is different to the name of the .dtsx file) cannot contain periods - they get replaced with a space. Hence, the name of the .dtsx file does not fully marry up with the name of the package container. I consider this to be a minor and inconsequential issue however."