Suggestion: Edit multiple packages simultaneously.

Topics: Resolved
Nov 2, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Hello,

Here's an idea. How about the ability to edit multiple packages simultaneously. For example, suppose I want to change the VersionMinor proeprty on many packages - a tool could do this for me.

The original motivation for this came from a forum thread where someone asked for the ability to edit the column metadata of dataflows in multiple packages simultaneously - though that would of course be a lot lot harder.

-Jamie

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Hey Jamie,

Check out PacMan: http://www.codeplex.com/pacman

The VersionMinor property functionality is built in, but the tool itself is designed as a developer playground, not as a polished tool like BIDS Helper...

Matthew

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:45 PM
Very cool. Can you compile it and make it available on the 'downloads' tab?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 11/10/2009 1:37:32 PM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Edit multiple packages simultaneously. [bidshelper:73788]

Hey Jamie,

Check out PacMan: http://www.codeplex.com/pacman

The VersionMinor property functionality is built in, but the tool itself is designed as a developer playground, not as a polished tool like BIDS Helper...

Matthew

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM

No? ;-)

I'd done this originally when I first posted it, but quickly found that the only way the tool was useful was when a developer could easily access and modify the source code. I built it as a quick-and-dirty developer tool for myself, and that is pretty much the limit of its value. As a compiled app it falls down pretty quickly.

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:12 PM
Ok, fair enough!!!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 11/11/2009 3:01:42 PM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Edit multiple packages simultaneously. [bidshelper:73788]

No? ;-)

I'd done this originally when I first posted it, but quickly found that the only way the tool was useful was when a developer could easily access and modify the source code. I built it as a quick-and-dirty developer tool for myself, and that is pretty much the limit of its value. As a compiled app it falls down pretty quickly.

Coordinator
Nov 11, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Jamie, the ability to mass update properties on packages has already been implemented in the latest version of the source. You can right-click on a package (or select multiple packages and right-click), choose Batch Property Update, specifiy a Property Path using the /SET syntax, and a new value.

It's not in the latest build because we're still doing some testing on it. If you don't have the tools handy to build it yourself, let me know and I'll send you a debug build.